Monday, October 16, 2006

Bedtime struggles

The newest struggle at our house is with Molly's bedtime. When Molly turned three, the "paci fairy" came to get her paci and left her a guitar (like Laurie Berkner, our newest hero). Taking it away was prompted primarily by starting preschool--they aren't allowed to have them in her class. She has suprised us all and has done really well without it. Before I had kids, I always said that MY kid would never have a paci when they were older than 2. Never say never!!!

The only problem with taking the paci has been that she is very difficult to get to sleep. Not only is she hard to get to sleep, but she is waking up during the night and getting in the bed with Kelly and I. She has never slept in the bed with us since we put her in her crib when she was 8 weeks old. I have to admit that snuggling with my sweet angel during the night (we all know they are the sweetest when they are sleeping!) is nice sometimes. Her tiny little body right up next to me, the smell of her hair and the sound of her breathing make me appreciate these times, and forget that I'm going to be sorry if I let her make a habit of it!!!

Molly has always been my good sleeper, she slept through the night at 5 weeks old (unlike her sister that didn't sleep through the night until 8 months!) and has always been a great napper (also unlike Sadie). I remember a time when she would go to bed at 7:00, get up at 9:00 and also take a 3 hour nap. As I look back, those were the days!

I honestly think that without the paci she doesn't know how to soothe herself to sleep and has lost some of her security. It makes me sad to think that I took that from her, but I know it was time.

So, Kelly and I are trying to teach her to sleep again, but I'm afraid the days of long naps (and naps in general) and sleeping like a rock are over for Molly. Hopefully, we will be able to get her to sleep through the night again soon.

No comments: